Dear Student-Athlete and/or Parent/Guardian:
The University of Bridgeport has purchased insurance coverage to protect all of our intercollegiate athletes against medical claims from accidental injury during your participation in all school sponsored and supervised athletic events, whether at the school or away. This coverage is provided by Consolidated Health Plans.
This insurance plan is excess coverage: i.e. medical bills will be submitted to your own insurance first, and the school policy will pick up the unpaid balances, deductibles, and co-insurance amounts, up to the limits of the policy.*
Although this coverage is very broad, there are restrictions, limitations, and exclusions in any insurance policy. In some situations, medical bills may not be covered in full. Athletes should understand that medical expenses are their own responsibility, not those of the university, although we are certainly here to help. Some of the important benefits and limitations of the plan are:
1. The Maximum Medical Benefit is $90,000, after which the claim would be submitted to the NCAA Catastrophic Insurance carrier.
2. Treatment must commence within 90 days of the date of injury, or there is no coverage.
3. Benefits are payable for up to 2 years from the date of injury, however this coverage expires upon graduations unless student opts to pay for continued coverage.
4. Student-athletes must obtain care from a University of Bridgeport Sports Medicine Physician, if they choose to obtain care from a physician outside of our sports medicine team; the student-athlete must have primary insurance coverage accepted by that physician. **
All injuries must be immediately reported to a University of Bridgeport Certified Athletic Trainer. Claim forms will be completed and filed by the Sports Medicine department, but it is the student-athletes’ (or parents’) responsibility to:
1. Submit all itemized bills (monthly statements will not do).
2. Submit the statement (EOB-Explanation Of Benefits) received from your own insurance company showing amounts paid and balances due, or, a letter of denial stating the claim is not covered. One of these letters is required for any payments to be made.
*International students are required to obtain University of Bridgeport student insurance, through Consolidated Health Plans before they may attend classes. This will act as the primary insurance for these students.
**If you want to see a physician other than one referred by our staff, please see one of the University of Bridgeport Certified Athletic Trainer for approval; it is imperative that if you are not using our physicians that you use a physician who is in your own network. This is to aid in insuring that you have appropriate insurance coverage and minimal out of pocket expenses.
It is your responsibility, and to your benefit, to submit the necessary papers to the University of Bridgeport Sports Medicine department as soon as possible, as the claim cannot be paid until all papers are submitted. All claim forms, bills, and the letters from other insurance companies are to be forwarded to, and questions regarding the coverage to the Sports Medicine department.
Current Student Athletes that utilize the Universities Health Insurance Plan (Consolidated Health Plans), can PRINT their ID CARD by clicking on the logo below!